BBC Casualty future ‘sealed’ as ‘cast and crew members told two more years’

BBC Casualty future ‘sealed’ as ‘cast and crew members told two more years’
The future of Casualty is reportedly in doubt

BBC bosses have reportedly told the cast and crew of legendary soap that they have “two more years”, sparking fears for the show. The medical drama, which launched in 1986 and is the world’s longest-running, has been hit by “super-inflation in drama production” and cost-cutting measures.

Staff are said to have been told that their contract renewals will be their last, with filming of the 39th series currently underway. An insider told The Sun: “Never mind on life support, it feels like Casualty has now received its death warrant.

“The official messaging is that all is well because the show was recently recommissioned for two more years.” They added: “But when that new round of contracts were signed, the feedback was ‘two years, then we’re done’. To be honest, no one was very surprised. The writing has been on the wall for a while now.”

Casualty staff have been told they have just "two years" before the show is done

Casualty staff have been told they have just “two years” before the show is done (Image: PA)

It was also reported last year that chiefs had taken a number of cost cutting measures after they’d episodes were slashed in line with the cost of living crisis. This meant that Casualty was taken off-air from September 16 until December 30 to keep fees down. Along with budgets being dried up and the programme losing some of it’s biggest names such as Strictly star Nigel Harman announcing his departure and OG Derek Thompson, 75, who played Charlie Fairhead from the day the show first aired.

However, the BBC has denied the claims, with a spokesperson saying: “Casualty isn’t going anywhere, the latest recommission is simply part of the normal business cycle.”

Promoted Stories

Casualty has been hit by cuts and lost some valuable actors

Casualty has been hit by cuts and lost some valuable actors (Image: BBC)

If the BBC were to take Casualty off-air there would only be one longstanding drama belonging to the channel – EastEnders. With Casualty’s life span hanging on by a thread, it could soon find it’s self on the scrap heap along with Holby City which came to and end in March 2022 and Doctors in October of the same year.

Related articles

Teddy is confronted with an unwelcome visitor, while Nicole is determined to prove herself to Stevie, and Rash begins to look forward.

Teddy is confronted with an unwelcome visitor, while Nicole is determined to prove herself to Stevie, and Rash begins to look forward. Casualty spoilers also follow. Next…

Casualty fans delighted as BBC show confirms it’s back in December

Casualty fans delighted as BBC show confirms it’s back in December At last Casualty has confirmed when it will be back on our screens after an extended…

Casualty announce this BIG change ahead of the show’s return – and fans are NOT happy

Casualty announce this BIG change ahead of the show’s return – and fans are NOT happy The return date of Casualty has been announced for December 30th,…

Casualty Max’s death and Zoe’s comeback! This return will bring with it lots of drama – including the death of Max Cristie and the iconic comeback of Zoe Hanna.

Casualty’s been off screen for a while now but fans of the BBC medical drama needn’t fear as they’ll be getting their next fix of the E.D….

Rida tells Rash the truth, while Patrick makes a surprise return to the ED and Jan has a proposition for Jacob.

Rida tells Rash the truth, while Patrick makes a surprise return to the ED and Jan has a proposition for Jacob. Next week on Casualty, Rida tells Rash…

Casualty scraps early iPlayer release for Charlie’s final episode

Casualty won’t release Charlie Fairhead’s exit episode early on BBC iPlayer. The medical drama has recently followed in the footsteps of EastEnders by releasing episodes on iPlayer…